Sunday, November 15, 2009

Let there be.......instructions?

So, I've been sitting here debating on what to post for my first article. I debated between doing some basics and going in full for a recipe. I ended up opting for some basics. Not that I think all of you don't know the basics, but I am sure there are some that don't, some that can always use a little refresher, and sometimes I use terms you may not be familiar with. With that said, lets dive in.

Mirepoix, pronounced meerapwa, is also called the trinity. It is a mixture of carrot, onion and celery, although in the south sometimes the carrot is replaced by bell peppers. Although it doesn't have to be chopped at all really, more of ten than not its diced. This is an excellent flavour base for many recipes. I use this in soups, stews, roasts, sauces etc etc. Dice or chop these, sauté lightly to add to a sauce or rice mixture. In a pinch and out of spaghetti sauce? Sauté the mirepoix until nicely browned and softened, but not mushy. Add JUST enough boiling water to a stock cube (I prefer mushroom) to liquefy it. Add that to the pan and stir. Now add 1 can of tomoatoes, or 3-5 med tomatoes peeled and seeded, or 1 can of tomato paste + enough water to make it a loose sauce. Add 1 tsp of sugar and oregano, thyme basil, rosemarry and marjoram. If you don't know how much here, start with 1 tsp each and adjust. Simmer to desired consistency.

With the current economy, we are all trying to make our $$ stretch as best we can. I currently make alot of soups, stews and casseroles. When I bring home celery I cut the base off and the tops. Same with broccoli. I save the base/stems/hearts of these things to make soup stock out of. For a nice veg stock, toss in all the veg you want to use, fill with water just to cover. Add 1-2 stock cubes (any kind depending on what your going to cook, use vegetable for a nice neutral stock) and bring to a rapid boil. Drop immediately to med low/low and simmer for about an hour. If you cook this for too long some of the veg can actually lose their flavour. If you wish to add meat to make a nice stock do so when you add the veg, however, after about 30 minutes of simmering remove the meat. If there are bones, leave them in, or if the meat is still attached remove the meat as soon as you can and drop the bones back in. Now if you have the time, make this a day or more ahead of when you will need it. If your using meat keep it seperate from the liquid. Strain the liquid and refrigerate. After chilling in the fridge fully you can then easily skim off any solidified fat. If you in need of a clear broth, strain through several layers of cheesecloth before reheating.

Much as I hate to promote anything, the Debbie Myers bags (for deli meat, cheese, veg and bread) are really worth the buy. I am making a stew today, and the carrots I have are nearly a month old, but as I have kept them in the Meyers bags, they are still as good as when I brought them home. Same for the green peppers. I find I spend less money on produce #1 because I dont have any go bad & #2 I dont feel the need to use it faster so it doesn't go bad. Using the ends/stalks and such for stock also helps stretch the $$. Along that line, I also try and use anything peripheral from the foods I buy when I can. We occasionally buy chicken nuggets or patties, everyone does. I save all the coating that comes off them. Eventually when I have enough saved I make chicken strips with it. I add a little flour and spices to it and use it to coat my strips. If I have a lemon or an orange just for juice, I peel the zest off first and either freeze it or dry it.

So basically, I try and use as much of everything that comes in as I can. When we have to use boxed/premade I try to touch it up with a little of this and that to make it not only taste better, but make that $$ go further. Next time we'll do a recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment